[lbo-talk] Passive Revolution (was new spirit of capitalism)

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Oct 15 14:32:49 PDT 2007

> In both Iran and Venezuela, the capitalist class have not been
> liquidated, and in both countries new elements entered into upper
> classes though the very processes of social revolution. Passive
> revolution, therefore, is a useful concept for me to grasp
> contradictory aspects of populism.

But this doesn't deal with the more fundamental question if the concept of a passive revolution and the war of position can be collapsed. I think that the concept of the war of position is useful, but the concept of passive revolution, which is primarily used to explain the ability of Mussolini to unify the Italian nation-state is not as useful. Once again, Gramsci insists on understanding the passive revolution as a combination of restoration/revolution.

Robert Wood