[lbo-talk] Passive Revolution (was new spirit of capitalism)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 08:09:13 PDT 2007

On 10/15/07, wrobert at uci.edu <wrobert at uci.edu> wrote:

> > In both Iran and Venezuela, the capitalist class have not been
> > liquidated, and in both countries new elements entered into upper
> > classes though the very processes of social revolution. Passive
> > revolution, therefore, is a useful concept for me to grasp
> > contradictory aspects of populism.
>
> But this doesn't deal with the more fundamental question if the
> concept of a passive revolution and the war of position can be
> collapsed. I think that the concept of the war of position is
> useful, but the concept of passive revolution, which is primarily
> used to explain the ability of Mussolini to unify the Italian
> nation-state is not as useful. Once again, Gramsci insists on
> understanding the passive revolution as a combination of
> restoration/revolution.

In Venezuela, the Bolivarian process has embraced both restoration (the rich getting richer than ever even while the poor get richer and the emergence of "a would-be new Bolivarian oligarchy" [Michael A. Lebowitz, "Venezuela: A Good Example of the Bad Left of Latin America," Monthly Review 59.3, July 2007 <http://www.monthlyreview.org/0707lebowitz.htm>]) and revolution (protagonism of self-organized working people).

In addition to passive revolution, there are certain other old concepts, some Marxist and others Weberian, that we can reexamine and refurbish:

Caesarism

Bonapartism

dual power

intellectuals ("organic" and "traditional")

charisma

bureaucracy

Those are among key concepts that interest me. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/>