[lbo-talk] Passive Revolution (was new spirit of capitalism)

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Tue Oct 30 10:26:18 PDT 2007

My suspicion is that we will need to rethink positing the war of movement as the key term of active struggle. This is already being thought about in diverse texts such as John Halloway's work and of course the earlier work of Laclau and Mouffe. (Also, it should be noted that Luxemburg has already started this discussions with her work on the mass strike and her responses to Kautsky.) Obviously, it would be interesting to see how each would respond to the Venezuelan situation. As to Venezuela, my inclination is to argue that this points to the precariousness and the incompleteness of the process, rather than its embrace of 'restoration.' I'm a little more tentative on that, though. Ultimately, I still think that there needs to be more work done on the Chavista movement as a social movement. Robert Wood