[lbo-talk] Armenian genocide?

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Oct 17 04:21:18 PDT 2007

What are thoughts here on the Armenian genocide resolution?

A Turkish trotskyist I knew resisted the characterisation of the early 20c. massacres as a genocide. He said that there was no doubt that the Armenians were run out of town, robbed and murdered on their way. But that it was wrong to characterise it as a systematic, state-organised genocide on a par with Nazi Germany. It sounded convincing to me.

And then there is another question about the political deployment of genocide resolutions to undermine the legitmacy of another government. Isn't it for the Turkish people to pass judgement on their government/come to terms with the persecution of the Armenians. Turks describe this agitation as playing on anti-Turkish prejudice, and I am not sure they are wrong.

On the other hand, Turkish nationalism in the form of raids against the PKK bases in Iraqi Kurdistan, is to be abhored.