[lbo-talk] US loses cotton subsidies fight

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Oct 17 08:18:25 PDT 2007

dredmond at efn.org wrote:
> On Tue, October 16, 2007 8:02 am, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>

>> Now, remind me, why do the lefties hate WTO?
>>

> We don't. The one country, one vote structure of the WTO does give a bit
> of agency to the nations of the periphery, though the minutiae of trade
> deals is often highly toxic. That said, free and fair trade, a.k.a. equal
> exchange, is powerfully utopian. As a planet, we need more swapping and
> fairer swapping, not less.
>
> -- DRR

Let's be clear here: the current global trade system is not a barter system. It's a commodity system predicated on the accumulation of capital. Thus the WTO is a mechanism for facilitating global capitalism. Sure, many poor nations would be better off if they could freely compete in this global capitalist system, but that's equivalent to Joan Robinson's quip that the only thing worse than being exploited in a capitalist society is--not being exploited. If we're really interested in creating "more and fairer swapping" that is not based on the circulation of commodities for profit, we need to dismantle organizations like the WTO.

Miles