[lbo-talk] Dewey on intelligence, co-operation, and class

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 18 10:58:40 PDT 2007

Thanks for bringing Dewey into the discussion. We experience ourselves on many levels between the purely personal and the abstract historical, and no one philospher provides a map for all of them. Dewey, as I recall it, provided probably my basic picture of how the mind/body organism works, and while at times I've shifted toward the more subjective (Freud, Zen, etc) and always kept a toe in the grand historical, my basic understanding of me in the world hasn't gone much beyond Dewey.

As for this:

"This conversion of abstractions into entities [*] smells more of a dialectic of concepts than of a realistic examination of facts, even though it makes more of an emotional appeal to many than do the results of the latter."

While it seems to undermine the "scientific" basis of Marx's analysis, it confirms the fundamental idea that all concepts are rooted in material conditions (which include personal emotions), and every one (including Dewey's) is merely a hypothesis about what's out there, and a means of orientation for a limited time and situation and a specific group of people.

BobW