[lbo-talk] US lawmakers apologize in torture case

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Oct 18 14:25:27 PDT 2007

[ Administrivia: Comcast mistakenly blacklisted the lbo-talk server yesterday and bounced mail to all you who use Comcast as your email provider ... sorry for the interruption, and I didn't get an apology from them, either --JMH ]

[ Note that this isn't an offical apology, it's just some folks in that other, sometimes-forgotten, branch saying they are personally sorry ... --JMH ]

---

WASHINGTON - Lawmakers apologized Thursday to a Canadian engineer for his seizure by U.S. officials who took him to Syria where the man says he was tortured in what he called an "immoral" American anti-terror program called extraordinary rendition. Maher Arar, 37, appeared before a joint hearing of House subcommittees by video, because he is still on a U.S. government watch list.

"Let me personally give you what our government has not: an apology," said Rep. Bill Delahunt, D-Mass., as he opened the hearing. "Let me apologize to you and the Canadian people for our government's role in a mistake."

[ ... ]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/torture_rendition