[lbo-talk] Jewish "nation"? (Was Armenian genocide?)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 19 09:03:02 PDT 2007

--- Marvin Gandall <marvgandall at videotron.ca> wrote: In theory, the Jews could have enjoyed statehood or some form of

political autonomy within Eastern Europe in the areas where they constituted a majority. --

That would have created a situation in which the little majority-Jewish areas, geographically separate from each other, were all separately autonomous, which seems intuitively difficult to manage. Although I suppose the Native Americans do reasonably well in what is as far as I can tell a comparable situation.

--- Birobidzhan was an experiment with this form of self-government within

the USSR.

---

Yep, that's exactly what Birobidzhan was. The idea was to create a territory for the Jewish nation.

This is all tied in with the I think dubious notion that to be a nation you need to have, or should have, a territory (state).