[lbo-talk] Marjane Satrapi: Revolutionary Spirit

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Oct 21 10:00:18 PDT 2007

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 11:12:59 -0500 "Stephen Philion" <stephen.philion at gmail.com> writes:
> Doug,
>
> Have you read any of the work of Meera Nanda? She's an academic
> comrade of Aijaz Ahmad (In Theory) [I believe Ahmad's critique of
> Edward Said's ideas on 'diaspora' is plainly speaking to your
> criticism of Marjane
> Satrapi [though I could see one saying in return that Ahmad is too
> 'western' [ha ha !!]. Anyhow, Nanda written a recent book called
> "Prophets Looking Backward: Postmodern Critics of Science", which I
> think is relevant to this thread.
>
> <http://www.amazon.com/Prophets-Facing-Backward-Postmodern
> Nationalism/dp/0813533589>

Concerning Meera Nanda, I first became aware of her when, ten years ago, she published two articles, one which appeared in Dissent and the other in Monthly Review, which critiqued postmodern thought and detailed how it was being used in India by right-wing Hindu nationalists as a

“Science Wars in India.” Dissent, Winter 1997

http://tinyurl.com/34p9lj

"Against Social De(con)struction of Science: Cautionary Tales from the Third World" Monthly Review (March 1997).

http://tinyurl.com/yoawex

However, I find it a bit distressing to learn that she had served as a research fellow at the John Templeton Foundation, Jan. 2005 to July 2007.

The John Templeton Foundation, after all, is dedicated to promoting the very sort of obscurantism in the West, that Meera has presumably been combatting, all these years, in India.