[lbo-talk] Marjane Satrapi: Revolutionary Spirit

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sun Oct 21 14:29:45 PDT 2007

On 21 Oct, 2007, at 13:00 PM, Jim Farmelant wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 11:12:59 -0500 "Stephen Philion"
> <stephen.philion at gmail.com> writes:
>> Anyhow, Nanda written a recent book called
>> "Prophets Looking Backward: Postmodern Critics of Science", which I
>> think is relevant to this thread.
>>
>> <http://www.amazon.com/Prophets-Facing-Backward-Postmodern
>> Nationalism/dp/0813533589>
>
> Concerning Meera Nanda, I first became aware
> of her when, ten years ago, she published two
> articles, one which appeared in Dissent and
> the other in Monthly Review, which critiqued
> postmodern thought and detailed how it
> was being used in India by right-wing
> Hindu nationalists as a
> <...>
> The John Templeton Foundation, after all, is
> dedicated to promoting the very sort of
> obscurantism in the West, that Meera
> has presumably been combatting,
> all these years, in India.

Ah yes, the fight against postmodernism in India -- if only those poor farmers had known the differance they may not have committed suicide. Utter rot! The Hindu right-wing's programme in India is no different from that of the Christian right in the USA: nationalist, revivalist, conservative. Similar to the Christian right, they too want their version of truth to be the only and absolute one. Postmodernism, or any sort of nuance when it comes to truth claims, would be as much anathema to them as it is to the right in the USA.

What next? The rhetoric of "aid and comfort to the enemy"? :-(

Also: http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2006/2006-October/019374.html

--ravi