[lbo-talk] Marjane Satrapi: Revolutionary Spirit

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 21 12:41:44 PDT 2007

Engels had a job in Manchester running a textile mill. Marx could not get one in Germany or continental Europe. His politics foreclosed a civil service position -- teaching was all civil service -- and the authorities were not going to let him run a radical paper even if they were not going to throw him in jail. He could, however, write at least for the foreign press in England. Besides, Engels, his best friend and main source of support, was in England.

However, the analogy is inapposite. When M&E moved their and until experience disillusioned them M&E thought that England, not Germany, not France or Belgium, was the place to be politically active; they did not hold up the German revolution, which didn't exist, as a model to praise from a safe distance. By the time that it became clear that the English revo wasn't going anywhere and the French Revo was happening (mind, that was over pretty quick, Marx would have had to have moved darn fast and in the middle of a war to participate in the Commune, where he could have been heroically shot with the other revolutionaries), and later that the German SDP was a real operation, they were middle-aged to older men with families settled in England.