[lbo-talk] Why I Skip Anti-Globalization Protests

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Oct 21 21:28:44 PDT 2007

Joseph Catron wrote:
> Here we see the "global justice" movement's best and brightest
> referring to "a woman unintentionally being hurt in an unfortunate
> accident" after she was HIT IN THE FACE BY A FUCKING BRICK THROWN AT
> THE STORE WHERE SHE WORKED by a protester:
>
> http://dc.indymedia.org/newswire/display/141282/index.php

You know, bystanders get hurt all the time at protests. Most of the time the public gets hurt by projectiles launched by the police. Sometimes people get hurt by stuff hurled by protesters. I almost got hit by some rocks several years ago at an anti-fascist march when I foolishly got on the wrong side of the street to get a better view.

This incident shouldn't be a big deal, especially among radicals.

> Notice that the DC Independent Media Center considered this most
> asinine of all possible communiques worthy of space in their center
> "features" column.

The DC IMC is pretty pathetic. People got so sick of some of the authoritarians involved that they actually started up another IMC. My favorite thing about the DC IMC is when they removed posts from activists and kept up posts from right wing trolls and reactionaries.

Chuck