[lbo-talk] Why I Skip Anti-Globalization Protests

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 22 01:40:40 PDT 2007

On 10/22/07, Chuck <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:
> Joseph Catron wrote:
> > Here we see the "global justice" movement's best and brightest
> > referring to "a woman unintentionally being hurt in an unfortunate
> > accident" after she was HIT IN THE FACE BY A FUCKING BRICK THROWN AT
> > THE STORE WHERE SHE WORKED by a protester:
>
> You know, bystanders get hurt all the time at protests. Most of the time
> the public gets hurt by projectiles launched by the police. Sometimes
> people get hurt by stuff hurled by protesters. I almost got hit by some
> rocks several years ago at an anti-fascist march when I foolishly got on
> the wrong side of the street to get a better view.
>
> This incident shouldn't be a big deal, especially among radicals.

I'm reminded of the counter-organizing I saw done to stop the self destructive efforts of violent leftist radicals. Every so often, the local KKK would do some nonviolent march to bait activists into attacking them, and thereby win sympathy for their cause. (Apparently the recruitment swelled in these times.) In reponse, people organized to help keep these violent activists from getting out of hand -- a sensible DIY attitude.

One of these violent activists worked at my workplace. Ever seen Terry Gilliam's movie "12 Monkeys"? He strongly resembled the Brad Pitt character's features, down to the manic behavior and facial tics. Got a macho adrenaline rush from being gassed by the police. I vaguely recall he was thrilled that some high-ranking KKK member's wife got a rock in the face, though maybe I misremember.

Tayssir