[lbo-talk] Why I Skip Anti-Globalization Protests

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 07:49:11 PDT 2007

The first thing I noticed from looking at pictures of the protests http://www.flickr.com/photos/isisdc/ is that nearly all the protesters look very young -- most of them probably can't even buy beer legally. As far as I can tell, the DC protests this past weekend were a complete and total bust: They received hardly any attention in the mainstream press and what attention they did receive was about some poor girl getting hit with a brick in front of the Abercrombie store. Clearly, the youth need theory, because this shit ain't working. No capitalist is quivering in his boots this morning. The Jena protests, though they weren't as sexy, were more successful by leaps and bounds.

I was nervous about the Georgetown protest from the beginning since organizers wrote weeks ago that "This will be a rowdy march, and the coalition embraces a diversity of tactics. Please plan accordingly." http://octoberrebellion.org/en/georgetown

I definitely recognize the need to clash with the cops, but this thing seemed more geared towards vandalizing chain stores than accomplishing any sort of objective (e.g. like shutting down a meeting). If the point is to fight consumerism, there are more effective and subversive ways of doing that -- Buy Nothing Day, for instance.

-WD