[lbo-talk] Why I Skip Anti-Globalization Protests

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Oct 22 09:05:36 PDT 2007

Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:

> I'm reminded of the counter-organizing I saw done to stop the self
> destructive efforts of violent leftist radicals. Every so often, the
> local KKK would do some nonviolent march to bait activists into
> attacking them, and thereby win sympathy for their cause. (Apparently
> the recruitment swelled in these times.) In reponse, people organized
> to help keep these violent activists from getting out of hand -- a
> sensible DIY attitude.

Personally, I think anybody who attempts to stop protesters from using violence deserves a brick to the face. When you interfere with people, you are acting like a cop and should be treated as one. Many anarchists feel very strongly about snitches--I feel very strongly about fucktard activists who attempt to stop violence or who help the police arrest activists.

There is also no such thing as a "violent" radical or protester. The people who use these tactics do so for political reasons. Many of them are working class people who have been subjected to incredible amounts of violence by the state and other sources. In my experience, many of the people who have no problem using violence, or engaging in property destruction, have been victims of incredible amounts of violence in their lives, either as people of color, as women or as poor people. I can certainly understan why my comrades who have been in and out of prisons have no reservations about using violence against the cops.

I've been to a few anti-racist protests where violence was used against white supremacists. From what I saw, rocks were being thrown from a wide variety of leftist activists and nobody was making an effort to stop them.

Chuck