[lbo-talk] Why I Skip Anti-Globalization Protests

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Oct 22 08:40:05 PDT 2007

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> Tassyir:

> One of these violent activists worked at my workplace. Ever seen Terry
> Gilliam's movie "12 Monkeys"? He strongly resembled the Brad Pitt
> character's features, down to the manic behavior and facial tics. Got
> a macho adrenaline rush from being gassed by the police. I vaguely
> recall he was thrilled that some high-ranking KKK member's wife got a
> rock in the face, though maybe I misremember.

> [WS:] These folks are no different than skinheads, neo-nazis or football
> hooligans - they just dress up in different colors as an excuse to commit
> acts of thuggery. They are basically violent criminals and should be
> treated as such.

Wow! I had completely forgotten that this list had turned towards the right in the last 6 months. Next thing you guys whill be screaming is for the young punks to get off your lawns.

The reality is that "these folks" are the same as you and me. I've talked to many of the people who have an inclination towards using violence and property destruction at protests. Almost all of them are normal people who simply see these tactics as acceptable.

According to Woj, the millions of people around the world who engage in these tactics during protests are "thugs" and "violent criminals." This kind of hypocirsy on tactics just confirms that American leftists prefer to see militant protests outside of the U.S.

Yeah, it's easy to wear that Che t-shirt to some Manhattan soiree while you bitch about some kids breaking windows at a Georgetown protest.

Chuck