[lbo-talk] the Colbert factor

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 23 06:02:56 PDT 2007

[This was all worth it just to see Tim Russert holding a Bert doll.]

<http://blog.washingtonpost.com/thefix/2007/10/the_colbert_effect.html>

Poll Tries to Measure Colbert Effect You don't need The Fix to state the obvious: Stephen Colbert is everywhere right now. [Chris Cillizza]

Following the announcement of his presidential ambitions last week, Colbert has chalked up quite a run of political coverage, capping the week with an appearance on ultimate establishment Washington TV show: "Meet the Press".

And now, we have national poll results detailing Colbert's chances -- and, no, we aren't kidding.

Public Opinion Strategies, a Republican polling firm, recently completed a national poll of 1,000 likely 2008 voters that included Colbert's name in both the GOP and Democratic primaries. (He has announced his plans to run in both the Democratic and Republican primaries.) In the field from Oct. 18-21, the survey has a 5 percent margin of error.

In the Democratic primary, Colbert takes 2.3 percent of the vote -- good for fifth place behind Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (40 percent), Sen. Barack Obama (19 percent), former Sen. John Edwards (12 percent) and Sen. Joe Biden (2.7 percent. Colbert finished ahead of Gov. Bill Richardson (2.1 percent), Rep. Dennis Kucinich (2.1 percent) and former Sen. Mike Gravel (less than 1 percent).

He was less lucky in the Republican field, where he took less than 1 percent of the vote behind even longshot candidates like Reps. Tom Tancredo and Ron Paul. Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani led the Republican field with 29 percent, followed by former Gov. Mitt Romney at 12 percent, former Sen. Fred Thompson (11 percent) and Sen. John McCain (10 percent).

"It's clear that Colbert's truthiness image and 'I am America' message has serious resonance among Democrats," said Neil Newhouse, a POS partner.

Yes, we know that Colbert's bid is satire and nothing more. But anyone who follows politics as closely as we do knows that it even serious politics often devolves into theater of the absurd. So why shouldn't Colbert be another actor in the real 2008 race?

For even more on Colbert and his impact (or lack thereof) on the race, check out Fix Friend Josh Green's piece over at the Atlantic Online. Good stuff.