[lbo-talk] Why I Skip Anti-Globalization Protests

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 06:17:58 PDT 2007

Chuck wrote:

> The youth need theory? No, they need to get out
there
> and throw more bricks. There is plenty of theory and

> plenty of armchair intellectuals (especially on this

> list). If you say that "this shit isn't
working",then
> you are basically saying that militant protests,
> anywhere in the world, by anbody, is a waste of
time.

"Particularly today, because decisive activity is cut off, and because on the other hand, for reasons which I have suggested often enough, thought itself is paralyzed, powerless and random praxis quite easily becomes a substitute for that which does not occur. And the deeper one knows that it isn't actually true praxis, all the more bitterly and passionately does consciousness adhere to such a praxis." - T.W. Adorno, Vorlesung über Negative Dialektik (my translation)