[lbo-talk] "Islamofascism Awareness Week" (was Marjane Satrapi: Revolutionary Spirit)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 06:37:31 PDT 2007

Do you dispute the factual accuracy of any of my aspersions on the government of the Islamic Republic of Iran?

The rest of what you say is a lie and an evasion.

I have never said anything about most Muslims than they are ordinary people like everyone else, some good, some indifferent, some not, most of whom, btw, want bourgeois wealth and comfort like practically everyone else on this planet who is in a position to conceive such a thing.

I have said never anything about "Islam" (organized Islam) in general than that it is a religion like most others, including its sisters Christianity and Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, formerly Marxism-Leninism -- a lot of nonsensical theology about nonexistent beings that most of its adherents find some comfort in as the heart of a heartless world, no worse and no better than any other.

I do not believe I have ever used the expression "Islamofascism" except in a quote with ironic scare quotes. I decisively reject the proposition that any part of Islam, including its worst parts (the Taliban, al Qaida, and less dreadful but still unspeakable, the Iranian theocracy or the Saudi dictatorship) is fascist or constitutes a threat to even the region, must lest the world, comparable to the threat posed by the Axis in the 30s and 40s.

My position on intervention, war, sanctions, and other attacks against Muslim nations is one of implacable opposition, and as you well know, having worked with me on this for decades, this involves action and not just words. I hold to Carrol's position: US out of everywhere. I always have. You know that too.

Even suggesting anything else is defamation. It is vile. You owe me a public and unqualified apology, no hedges, no ifs and or buts, just, I'm really sorry and I was wrong to suggest anything else. I am waiting for you to come forward with it.

For the rest, you can ask your "Persian princess," Satrapi, whose work you evidently have not read or perhaps understood, whether she thinks that militant Islam is a force for liberation. I believe the import of her work to date is the opposite. I am sure that she, like, I, adamantly opposes any US or other foreign attack on Iran.

You disappoint me.

<http://www.terrorismawareness.org/islamic-bigotry/81/the-violent-oppression-of-women-in-islam/>