[lbo-talk] mobilization

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 23 08:08:30 PDT 2007

One of the roots of the recent financial market turmoil is that Wall Street financed a lot of long-term mortgage lending by borrowing short-term in the commercial paper market; that meant that they had to refinance every few weeks to support a loan with a term of decades. Thanks to a Google alert on myself, I just learned that a blogger quoted me in Wall Street quoting Joseph Schumpeter: "It is one of the most characteristic features of the financial side of capitalist evolution so to 'mobilize' all, even the longest, maturities as to make any committment to a promise of future balances amenable to being in turn financed by any sort of funds and especially by funds available for a short time, even overnight, only. This is not mere technique. This is part of the core of the capitalist process." A nice antidote to all those who think that all this stuff is new.

Doug