[lbo-talk] mobilization

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 06:50:12 PDT 2007

Doug quote Schumpeter: ""It is one of the most characteristic features of the financial side of capitalist evolution so to 'mobilize' all, even the longest, maturities as to make any committment to a promise of future balances amenable to being in turn financed by any sort of funds and especially by funds available for a short time, even overnight, only."

Could you express this in less technical language, Doug, or as representing a more general tendency? Is it comparable to buying options -- betting on someone else's bet? Or is it a case of reckless greed -- the lure of profit competing with a rational calculation of risk? The thing described seems self-defeating this way -- capitalist financial managers second-guessing themselves -- which does not seem part of a "core of the capitalist process."

Bob W