[lbo-talk] Why I Skip Anti-Globalization Protests

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Oct 23 09:03:03 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> They are random in the sense that they're mostly the isolated acts of
> isolated individuals associated in transient, isolated groups. They
> don't speak for any more than an almost immeasurably small part of
> the population. And apparently they think that the act of throwing a
> brick through an A&F window is somehow going to hasten the demise of
> capitalism, but instead they just hit a worker in the head.

I'm just astounded that people on this list know so much about the people involved in this particular protest. What's more, why don't we read similar crap about the participants at larger protests?

The anti-capitalist protest in Georgetown was organized by activists who

*are* part of long-standing groups. I suspect that some of my comrades from D.C. were involved from various groups there, including MGJ (although this wasn't planned by MGJ). I also suspect that people involved with the Pittsburgh Organizing Group was involved. POG is quite organized and have been doing actions there including some significant counter-recruitment protests.

They threw a brick thorugh an A&F window? That's pretty awesome. I didn't catch the name of the business that got bricked.

Ah, Doug, but they do speak for the population. Here in the U.S., that part of the population which hates these chain stores and capitalism in general. I imagine that the young people involved in this protest have extra incentive because they have current or recent experience working for these chain stores. More importantly these protests have the backing of people around the world who want Americans to do something in our backyard against neoliberalism and capitalism.

As for the worker being hit in the head, I expect those of you who are upset about this to be similarly up in arms when a similar incident happens during a labor strike.

> Maybe you don't like the word "theory," Chuck. That's why I asked
> yesterday what the strategy was. How is something like this going to
> attract or mobilize support? How does it lead to social
> transformation? I'm not at all opposed to violence, nor would I want
> the kids off the lawn, if I had a lawn. I'm really eager to hear how
> roving bands of brick-throwers will change anything. For the better,
> that is.

The strategy is that actions like this provide a basis for an upswing in anti-capitalist activism. You build on this by organizing follow-up protests and campaigns. You tie this in with the rowdy protests that will be happening next year at the RNC and DNC conventions.

We know that actions like this one attract more supporters. That's what happened during the post-Seattle movement. I think that the movement needs at this point to talk more about strategy, put some work into organization-building, and decide on a few campaigns against specific corporations. I think the campaigns part of the strategy is important because it gives a decentralized network of activists local targets to organize against. Campaigns against specific corporate targets also can lead to some visible results, which in turn draw in more people. We've seen how activists without many resources can have an effect on corporations like McDonalds, Starbucks, and Wal-Mart. Although some rather large organizations have gone up against Wal-Mart.

Chuck