[lbo-talk] Why I Skip Anti-Globalization Protests

Alex Hogan alexmhogan at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 23 10:12:19 PDT 2007

> Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:03:03 -0500> From: chuck at mutualaid.org> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Why I Skip Anti-Globalization Protests> at larger protests?> > The anti-capitalist protest in Georgetown was organized by activists who > *are* part of long-standing groups. I suspect that some of my comrades > from D.C. were involved from various groups there, including MGJ > (although this wasn't planned by MGJ).

who preferred

It was kick started by long some long standing MGJ people...those people in 2001 whose major focus was always on brick throwing and cop baiting and were active with unpleasent groupings like the Utopian Anarchist Party. Those MGJ people who focused on messaging and building larger coalitions have moved on to other things from what I've observed.

> Ah, Doug, but they do speak for the population.

Talk about vanguardism...150 mostly young white kids dressed up like members of Crass speak for the population.

> As for the worker being hit in the head, I expect those of you who are > upset about this to be similarly up in arms when a similar incident > happens during a labor strike.

When miners in WV throw things - including bullets- at scabs, the community gets it. Based on your inability to offer a coherent defense, I don't think you even get why tossing a brick at a H and M (or whatever it was) and hurting a by stander does anything to advance a political movement. > > We know that actions like this one attract more supporters. That's what > happened during the post-Seattle movement.

Ok, but what about people who aren't looking to get arrested (i.e. most people). People who find crusty punks in masks yelling 'off the pigs" alienating?

Was Seattle interesting becuase some Starbucks got vandalized or because it brought out tens of thousands in a very wide and diverse coalition? I'd vote for the latter.