[lbo-talk] Why I Skip Anti-Globalization Protests

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 10:59:20 PDT 2007

Chuck wrote:

> At least they aren't a self-hating asshole like
> yourself!

Such rigorous argument.

> You certainly aren't do anything!

So you readily concede that the decisive criterion for any activity is not whether or not it has any potential to effect any actual change, but merely that it satisfies some moral obligation to "do something"?

> So then you dismiss all social change around the
> world as mere "activism" and a subculture. That's
> idiotic.

I don't know how you manage to read a dismissal of all "social change around the world" into my dismissal of the therapy circles for children of privilege which you seem to favor.

> so far, the comments on this list are doing an
> excellent job of reinforcing the fact the the U.S.
> liberal-left is a comfortable irrelevancy which
> prefers its revolutions to happen in books and
> elsewhere.

Except that I'm 1) not in the U.S., and 2) not a left-liberal.

If you must, I prefer the term "Berlin salon communist". "Latte-sipping armchair Bolshevik" works just as well.