[lbo-talk] Why I Skip Anti-Globalization Protests

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Oct 23 13:31:08 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Huh? I was there all week and property destruction was minimal. A few
> smashed windows, and a circle-A spray-painted on a cop car (which was
> ballsy and marvellous). The bourgeoisie likes to talk up the damage,
> but to them anything that interferes with their plans is the virtual
> equivalent of armed revolution.

There was quite a bit of property damage, from what I've been told and based on what I've seen in pictures and photos.

At the very least, the perception in the media is what's important. The p-d helped make Seattle a newsworthy event. As I said earlier, Seattle was a bunch of factors coming together in synchronicity.

> And...Seattle was a success at the time, which means from the end of
> 1999 through 9/11. After that, Seattle was dead.

You've already written off the movement? That's pretty warped and pathetic.

I think you are grossly underestimating the scope and impact of the post-Seattle movement, which DID continue after 9/11. You know, many of the people who got involved in the movement are still out there, organizing and doing activism.

Chuck