[lbo-talk] Islamofascism Awareness Week

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 23 14:52:52 PDT 2007

On Oct 23, 2007, at 5:36 PM, Jerry Monaco wrote:

> Most people I talk to in the U.S. know much about the crimes of
> Iran commits
> but nothing and little about the monstrous crimes that U.S.
> commits and
> our responsibility even for the much lesser crimes that Iran commits.

One reason I have a show on an impoverished, marginal radio station and not on NPR - aside from the fact that I don't have a smooth FM voice - is that I spend most of my time on the bad things about the U.S. and not the good things. Same reason I get published by small presses for little money.

Even NGOs like AI devote a lot more attention to U.S. brutalities than Iranian, despite Yoshie's claims to the contrary. So this isn't really a relevant or useful critique.

> In
> the context of the usual war fever to concentrate any energy on the
> crimes
> of Iran, and pretending as if those crimes are not "our" crimes, is
> hypocrisy. Why do leftists speak of Iran's crimes at all? What do
> they
> matter?

You know, as the old man said, nothing human is alien to me. They matter because Iranians are human. They should matter especially to people on the left because the Iranian regime has been particularly brutal towards their own left.