[lbo-talk] 50 Cent: big fan of W!

Alex Hogan alexmhogan at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 24 08:40:57 PDT 2007

Its rarely mentioned but James Brown actually campaigned for Nixon. > To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> From: dhenwood at panix.com> Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:43:12 -0400> Subject: [lbo-talk] 50 Cent: big fan of W!> > Observer (London) - October 14, 2007> > The ten right-wing rockers> > Some later said they didn't mean it, or changed their minds, but all > of them at one time pointed right, says Luke Bainbridge> Luke Bainbridge> Sunday October 14, 2007> > Observer Music Monthly> 1. Elvis Presley> > The meeting of the King and the President at the White House on 21 > December 1970 was initiated by Elvis himself. Presley wrote a long, > rambling six-page letter to Nixon, expressing his concern for the > country and suggesting he could use his position to help as 'the drug > culture, the hippie elements, the SDS, Black Panthers etc do not > consider me as their enemy'. Presley also suggested he be made a > 'Federal Agent-at-Large' in the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous > Drugs. In their face-to-face meeting, Presley stressed his love of > his country and told Nixon he was 'on your side'. He also said he had > been studying 'communist brainwashing' and that the Beatles had been > 'a real force for anti-American spirit'. This picture is the most > requested item from the US National Archive, more so than the Bill of > Rights or the Constitution of the United States.> > 2. Tony Hadley> > The Spandau Ballet singer, a long-standing Conservative, is said to > be in the hunt for a Tory seat. At this month's party conference he > was talking tough on crime: 'The fabric of society is torn. We need > Cameron to be more like Thatcher, to say enough is enough.'> > 3. Ted Nugent> > The hard rocker is renowned for his conservative views and anti-drug/ > alcohol stances. At the National Rifle Association's 2005 convention > he told delegates he wanted rapists, burglars and child molesters > 'dead'. On Iraq: 'Our failure has been not to Nagasaki them.'> > 4. Eric Clapton> > A drunk Clapton spoke out in support of Enoch Powell at a gig in > Birmingham in 1976. 'I think Enoch's right ... we should send them > all back. Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!'. His reported > remarks were a factor in the creation of Rock Against Racism.> > 5. 50 Cent> > In 2005, Fiddy told GQ he thought Dubya was 'incredible ... a > gangsta'. He revealed he would vote for Bush if his felony conviction > didn't prevent him from voting. 'I wanna meet George Bush, just shake > his hand and tell him how much of me I see in him.'> > 6. Geri Halliwell> > At the height of Girl Power, in 1996, the Spice Girls gave a > Christmas interview to The Spectator , in which Geri revealed their > true inspiration 'We are true Thatcherites,' she explained. 'Thatcher > was the first Spice Girl, the pioneer of our ideology.'> > 7. Kid Rock> > The rock rapper, ex-husband of Pamela Anderson and MTV's one-time > Sluttiest Male Celebrity is also a big Republican. Rock was pencilled > in to headline a youth concert organised by Bush daughters Jenna and > Barbara in 2005 until various family groups protested.> > 8. Johnny Ramone> > On induction to the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame in 2002, the Republican > declared, 'God bless President Bush.' Johnny, who died in 2004, once > said: 'People drift towards liberalism at a young age, and I always > hope they change when they see how the world really is.'> > 9. Phil Collins> > The drummer famously promised to leave the UK if Labour were elected > in 1997, and did indeed move to Switzerland. Prior to the 2005 > election, Noel Gallagher urged: 'Vote Labour. If you don't and the > Tories get in, Phil is threatening to come back.'> > 10. Ian Curtis> > The lead singer of Joy Divison - who is currently depicted in Anton > Corbijn's biopic Control - helped Margaret Thatcher into power by > voting Conservative in 1979, reportedly as a protest against the > Labour government of James Callaghan.> > ___________________________________> http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk _________________________________________________________________ Climb to the top of the charts!  Play Star Shuffle:  the word scramble challenge with star power. http://club.live.com/star_shuffle.aspx?icid=starshuffle_wlmailtextlink_oct