[lbo-talk] Talal Asad on Secularism, Liberalism, and Human Rights

Rakesh Bhandari bhandari at berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 24 14:18:00 PDT 2007

Non responsive abusive reply, Carrol. No bullshit here. Why haven't you proven that liberal democracy makes the person not a religious believer first but at the very least a internally divided subject--a religious loyalist and a national patriot. I wouldn't shout down the incoherence of modern identity, the mutually incompatible demands made on subjects by saying that the redefinition of religion smooths everything over, makes it all whole.

And even if does...

Then the liberal democratic nation state can tolerate religions as long as they do not overstep their bounds, do not make demands that compromise the primarily loyalty to the state. Which means that religions are policed by liberalism which is after all also nationalism, not simply tolerated. The Western self conception as pluralistic and tolerant must be rethought or at least qualified. I think your comrade Yoshie would agree. Rakesh