[lbo-talk] Talal Asad on Secularism, Liberalism, and Human Rights

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Oct 24 15:53:12 PDT 2007

Rakesh Bhandari wrote:

> Non responsive abusive reply, Carrol. No bullshit here. Why haven't
> you proven that liberal democracy makes the person not a religious
> believer first but at the very least a internally divided subject

I suppose by proof you mean a theorization of the empirical facts -- for that is what they are. In fact, whatevcer you might argue abstractly, every religious dogma has been/is being made to support almost any political position you might name. It would be incorrect to theorize this, just as it would be incorrect to theorize the temporary distribution of books, papers, articles of clothing, etc. about my dwelling.

It's a fact. Deal with it.

Carrol