[lbo-talk] LBO Got All Crazy

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Oct 24 17:51:40 PDT 2007

Joanna:

> Lolita was great. Paths of Glory, a classic. Barry Lyndon magnificent.

Yes. Yes. And most especially YES. "Lyndon" is Kubrick's best film. In a just world, Best Picture, by fucking far. But it was up against "Jaws," "Dog Day Afternoon," "Nashville," and "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest," which won. Today, "Jaws" would win.

> But as for "Eyes Wide Shut," while I appreciated the artistry, it seemed
> completely disconnected from anything. The only thing I remember was
> Nicole Kidman's flawless figure. The orgy scenes were only slightly less
> interesting than paint drying...and the anti-semitism completely
> gratuitous.

Agreed. But I thought the early scene of Cruise and Kidman at the posh X-mas party, where they each flirt heavily with other people, was very erotic. Very.

Dennis