[lbo-talk] LBO Got All Crazy

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 19:17:00 PDT 2007

On 10/24/07, Dennis Perrin <dperrin at comcast.net> wrote:
> Joanna:
>
> > Lolita was great. Paths of Glory, a classic. Barry Lyndon magnificent.
>
> Yes. Yes. And most especially YES. "Lyndon" is Kubrick's best film. In a
> just world, Best Picture, by fucking far. But it was up against "Jaws," "Dog
> Day Afternoon," "Nashville," and "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest," which
> won. Today, "Jaws" would win.
>
> > But as for "Eyes Wide Shut," while I appreciated the artistry, it seemed
> > completely disconnected from anything. The only thing I remember was
> > Nicole Kidman's flawless figure. The orgy scenes were only slightly less
> > interesting than paint drying...and the anti-semitism completely
> > gratuitous.
>
> Agreed. But I thought the early scene of Cruise and Kidman at the posh X-mas
> party, where they each flirt heavily with other people, was very erotic.
> Very.

i know the film's source material (not to say i've read it, mind you), but i still and always have seen it as a version of nathaniel hawthorne's "young goodman brown." i don't know if hawthorne sat behind the source novella or not, but i doubt it. cruise thinks himself purer than he is, inhumanly pure, and certainly more so than his fallen wife.

and so, yes, i love it and think it's brilliant. the orgy scenes are just the forest in YGB. maybe.