[lbo-talk] LBO Got All Crazy

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Oct 24 21:40:31 PDT 2007

>i know the film's source material (not to say i've read it, mind you),
>but i still and always have seen it as a version of nathaniel
>hawthorne's "young goodman brown." i don't know if hawthorne sat
>behind the source novella or not, but i doubt it. cruise thinks
>himself purer than he is, inhumanly pure, and certainly more so than
>his fallen wife.

Wo there. The source is Schnitzler's Traumnovelle.

I would have found the movie far more interested if Kubric had kept the original setting in fin de siecle Vienna -- or if he had done a little more with the transposition to make the fin-de-siecle stuff clearer. But neither happened.

No, really, this was a very failed Marienbad.

Joanna