[lbo-talk] Islamofascism Awareness Week

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Oct 25 14:41:01 PDT 2007

Jerry Monaco wrote:
> Where did I make this assumption. I talked about __relative__
> responsibility and the effects of our speech and actions. I made no
> assumption about "democracy" in the U.S. If you actually read what I
> wrote you would have seen I talked about responsibility, relative to
> our freedom, power and privilege. What you would like to do, I gather,
> is to say that we have as much effect on the governments of our
> official enemies and of the governments "over there" as the state
> institutions here. Well quite frankly this is bullshit Miles and I am
> surprised at you for even presenting this as an argument. We have
> limited violence of our government in the past and we can do better in
> the future.

I honestly can't think of a plausible case of the U. S. population "limiting the violence of our government". Can you provide some examples? As far as I can see, your position is perpetuating the myth that somehow "we the people" can meaningfully influence U. S. government policies and actions, if only we'd try hard enough. In practical terms, every member of LBO "speaking out" and "acting out" about the gross injustices of the U. S. government will not affect U. S. policy one iota. I agree that this is a disheartening view, but that's where we are. It doesn't help anything to pretend that we live in a true democracy where our voices make a difference. (Perhaps the unshakeable faith that ordinary working people can shape U. S. government policy is--the modern opiate of the masses?)

Miles