[lbo-talk] Revolutionary Leaders (was Iran Poll)

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 15:11:33 PDT 2007

> On Oct 27, 2007, at 5:07 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> >> My big problem however is your tendency to make snarky put
> >> downs "about Western leftists" against people who have made
> >> clear they are anti-war but are rightfully critical of the Tehran
> >> government. Yes, our main job in the US is to stop Bush from
> >> blowing up Tehran. However when Iranian bus drivers ask for
> >> the help of international trade unions in pressuring the Iranian
> >> govt to free Mansour Osanloo , for example, I think we have
> >> a duty to respond with solidarity.
> >
> > The history of the labor wing of the US-led multinational empire
>
> What a non sequitur. Iranians trying to organize unions are pawns of
> Washington? A labor leader going blind in prison is remote controlled
> from Langley? Labor organizers getting shot under suspicious
> circumstances - they deserve it because they're just apologists for
> Norman Podhoretz? What a bag of crap.

I'm responding to the part concerning "the help of international trade unions."

For instance, "On 15 February 2006, the ICFTU and its International Transport Workers' Federation coordinated rallies and protests outside Iranian legations world-wide" (Andreas Malm and Shora Esmailian, Iran on the Brink: Rising Workers and Threats of War, Pluto Press, 2007, p. 120), officials of the AFL-CIO and James P. Hoffa of the US Teamsters Union taking the lead. Malm and Esmailian celebrate this as "an unequalled manifestation of global solidarity with a labour movement in the Middle East" and "the most awe-inspiring show of global opposition to the labour politics of the Islamic Republic ever recorded" (Malm and Esmailian, pp. 120-121). Note, however, that nothing of the sort was done for any other Iranian workers, let alone workers of other countries in the Middle East, especially those of the empire's client states like Egypt.

Other Iranian labor activists took note of this contrast. Malm and Esmailian report that "The activists of Mohsen Hakimi and the other council communists of Komiteye Hamahangi, on the other hand, limited themselves to issuing a few statements, one of which was a condemnation of the global day of action" mentioned above (Malm and Esmailian, p. 121). The condemnation in question stated: "It means that the ICFTU . . . in the realm of the current conflict among the bourgeois government of Iran and other bourgeois governments [sic] has wanted the false defense of the demands of workers in Iran [to] be made a pretext in order to support one sector of the bourgeoisie in contrary to another sector" (qtd. in Malm and Esmailian, p. 121). While the translation is awkward, you get the drift. Malm and Esmailian cite it only to dismiss it as "[u]ltra-leftist gibberish," but that says more about their own lack of understanding of the labor wing of the empire, of which some Iranian workers are aware. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/>