[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Oct 29 19:21:40 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Oct 29, 2007, at 7:59 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>> I think I located the key in my response to Dennis Perrin: It is the
>> virus of radical indivualism that grounds capitalist ideology and
>> isolates intellectuals in their own little bubbles where they can sit
>> and sneer at everyone for not having exactly their own perspective on
>> everything.
>
> Dennis was reporting what his high-school-age daughter said, and
> Dennis himself is not some isolated professor. Aside from that,
> you're really on target.

This is what bugs me: how on earth can a current-day high school student know whether or not the current generation of students is less motivated or intellectually capable than students in previous generations? Answering this question requires rigorous scientific research, not random anecdotes. The common-sense perceptions of current high school students and teachers are irrelevant.

Miles