[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 29 20:27:16 PDT 2007

Miles Jackson wrote:

> This is what bugs me: how on earth can a current-day high school
> student know whether or not the current generation of students is less
> motivated or intellectually capable than students in previous
> generations? Answering this question requires rigorous scientific
> research, not random anecdotes. The common-sense perceptions of
> current high school students and teachers are irrelevant.

Any daughter of Dennis is going to have a warped perception of what it means to be creative _or_ politically aware. Same with the daughters and sons of most of the people on this list. And first-rate historians often make terribly wrong comparative judgments of different periods.

It's clear that the

laudatores temporis acti

claiming that the sh-t used to be blacker and richer

(Canto XV are wrong. The question of interest is why intelligent people can be so historically naive.

Carrol