[lbo-talk] 'American kids, dumber than dirt'

Carl Remick carlremick at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 10:37:15 PDT 2007

On 10/29/07, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> It's clear that the
> laudatores temporis acti
> claiming that the sh-t used to be blacker and richer
> (Canto XV
> are wrong. The question of interest is why intelligent people can be so
> historically naive.

And to think I used to consider you a Gloomy Gus, Carrol. Why, you're right in the mirthful mainstream of American merriment! This is from David Brooks' NYT column today:

"American voters are generally happy with their own lives. Eighty-six percent of Americans say they are content with their jobs, according to the General Social Survey. Seventy-six percent of Americans say they are satisfied with their family income, according to a Pew Research Center survey. Sixty-two percent of Americans expect their personal situation to get better over the next five years, according to a Harris Poll, compared with only 7 percent who expect it to get worse. Researchers from Pew found that 65 percent of Americans are satisfied over all with their own lives — one of the highest rates of personal satisfaction in the world today."

<http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/30/opinion/30brooks.html?hp>

Carl