[lbo-talk] Servility and Gullibility

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 08:12:39 PDT 2007

> Most Americans supported the invasion of Iraq. A majority thinks that
> SCHIP bears the threat of socialized medicine. Hillary Clinton is
> likely to be our next president. So should we embrace all that just
> because that's what a majority of Americans think? Or are some
> majorities better than others?

Did a majority of any other nation support the invasion of Iraq aside from Americans and Israelis*?

That Americans and Israelis are at present too politically ignorant to make democracy work doesn't mean that other peoples are all as politically stupefied as them. Israelis and Americans are outliers in their extraordinary eagerness to find any excuse, however far-fetched, to support US imperialism.

If you live in Israel or the USA, you might want to keep Karl Marx's Confession (1 April 1865, <http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1865/04/01.htm>) in mind:

The vice you hate most

Servility

The vice you excuse most

Gullibility

* The ADL claims that a majority of Israelis still think that the Iraq War was justified, outdoing Americans in the gullibility contest.

<http://www.adl.org/PresRele/IslME_62/5055_62.htm> May 18, 2007 Poll Shows That Israel is a Staunch American Ally

A majority of Israelis (59%) believe that in retrospect the US was correct in going to war in Iraq to topple Saddam Hussein, in contrast to the majority of Americans (including American Jews).

<http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/10/01/4239/> Published on Monday, October 1, 2007 by The Jerusalem Post/Israel Poll: Most Israelis Support Using Nukes Staff Writers

Approximately 72 percent of Israelis support the use of nuclear weapons in certain circumstances, according to a Canadian survey released recently.The survey - conducted jointly at the end of July by the Simons Foundation and Angus Reid Strategies - was answered by adults in six countries and showed that 37% of Israelis believed the use of nuclear weapons to prevent a war would be justified, while 35% believed the weapons could be justifiably used during a war.

In addition, the survey found that Israel had the lowest public support for destroying nuclear weapons out of all the countries questioned.

Israel also had the highest percentage in favor of the country using its "power and influence in a way that serves its own interests" - approximately 55% - as opposed to "coordinat[ing] with other countries to do what's best for the world as a whole."

Nearly 72% also agreed that "nuclear weapons place Israel in a unique position, so it is not in our interest to participate in treaties that would reduce or eliminate our purported nuclear arsenal."

About three-quarters of Israelis also said they would feel safer if they knew for certain that Israel had nuclear weapons. Israel has thus far maintained its policy of nuclear ambiguity.

The organizers of the study suggested that Israel accorded greater importance to the nuclear form of defense due to the Iranian threat, Army Radio reported.

The study spanned a sample of 1,000 adults in Britain, France, Italy, Germany and the US along with Israel. -- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/>