[lbo-talk] Do-It-Yourself Double Bill

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri Sep 7 08:22:23 PDT 2007

In NYC, San Francisco, and Los Angeles this weekend there is the opportunity to create a handmade double bill of William Friedkin's CRUISING (1980) and Eytan Fox's THE BUBBLE (2006): two films separated by more than two decades, each dealing with queerness, violence and authoritarian systems of sexual control.

CRUISING is scheduled for just a week. Friedkin has digitally retored the film so it should be a hoot. (n.b.: I was there protesting the shooting back in 1979 and was not a fan of the finished product [even as a movie]. We will see if a quarter century makes a difference). I have always thought it odd that two of the landmark queer films which bookend the 1970's (BOYS IN THE BAND [1970] and CRUISING) were both made by the heterosexual Friedkin. Though his career has been in general decline since then, there is an appealing fucked-up/mismatched mise en scene in his best work.

Some early comments:

http://www.sf360.org/features/2007/09/friedkin_cruisi.html

http://www.collider.com/dvd/news/article.asp/aid/5377/tcid/3

http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=4412&catid=85&volume_id=254&issue_id=313&volume_num=41&issue_num=49

http://www.villagevoice.com/film/0736,lee,77663,20.html

An interview with Friedkin:

http://www.sfbg.com/blogs/pixel_vision/2007/09/whos_cruising_who_william_frie.html

THE BUBBLE is a mishmash in a different way from CRUISING, but there are odd affinties between the two. Fox lacks Friedkin's visceral sense of cinema, but he sometimes interrupts the sweetness of his mise en scene with raw framings of despair.

Early comments:

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/bubble2007

Brian