[lbo-talk] memory...

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 7 08:53:46 PDT 2007

I posted a piece from the Washington Post the other day on how hard a job mythbusters have. The article provoked an interesting thread on the AAPOR list. Among the points: people often remember that things are associated, but not the precise details of the association.

I'm not supposed to forward messages from the list, but one poster reported on a 1991 survey in the Detroit area. Several respondents knew Sen Joe McCarthy was somehow associated with communism - but thought he was a communist, not an anti-communist. Several white respondents remembered Rosa Parks as a black woman who gave up her seat on the bus.

And then there's this precious definition of the Tet offensive: "The line in football where you have three backs and you split a wide receiver to the right. A handoff to the running back."

Doug