[lbo-talk] guts @ Yale

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 7 12:04:14 PDT 2007

Hilarious review of gut courses at Yale:

<http://gawker.com/news/ivy-league/what-are-the-gut-classes-at- yale-297435.php>

A sample:

planets and stars - Generally speaking everyone has been wasted at some point and stared blankly at the sky and been like, shit, space and shit is sweet. And then you get to Yale and you find out that you can take astronomy to meet requirements and that its not hard math or anything and you think this is the sweetest thing ever. And every year the reviews say it isnt that easy and your friend gets a 48 before the curve on the midterm, but you just really want to take it anyway. So go for it, the SC/QR combo is usually the stuff that the kids who don't take gut classes go for in the first place, so a class like this that we and not they even think of must be something special?

computers and the law: Bob Dunne is to gut courses at Yale sort of as Eminem is to white rappers. Sure, there may have been people who had experimented in the industry before, but Bob Dunne really took easy classes at Yale to a level that has never been known before. Over 600 kids take this class each year, mainly learning about child custody battles, fur coat advertisements, porn, identity theft, and child porn, and the tests will heavily remind you of the multiple choice tests you take to get your learner's permit. If you don't take this before you graduate, I have no clue what to tell you.

alcohol and other drugs in american culture: If you did not salivate the second that you read the name of this course, you seriously must be illiterate. This definitely wins the "name that sounds most like the content of my favorite mtv shows and thus i must take it class" award this year, taking the crown from food psych and fat and thin. The reviews look really good for this gut, and I have no doubt in my mind that the entire swim team will be sitting together for this one when I show up on day one. This gut is hotter than Michael Vick and Matt Sills combined right now.

the hero in the ancient near east: This is perhaps the biggest "how in the world did someone find out this was a gut class" gut. Seriously, who would sign up for a random class like this before people knew it would be a gut? WTF? Anyway, somehow, the baseball team discovered this one and has been holding it as an heirloom for a couple of years now. Apparently, everyone gets an A and the final is some sort of trip to a museum. You may even be able to tell me what the ancient near east was.