[lbo-talk] Deus Caritas Est

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 13:24:48 PDT 2007

On 9/7/07, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:
> <http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-nuns7sep07,1,1965314.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-california>http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/california/la-me-nuns7sep07,1,1965314.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-california
>
> Facing their convent's closure
>
> L.A. Archdiocese plans to sell the Santa Barbara site to help pay its
> priest abuse settlement. The nuns will likely have to leave the city
> where they've served the poor.

Something similar is supposed to have happened in Boston's North End -- a church community or athletic center got sold off to pay for abuse settlements, and have since been turned into high-end condos. The kicker was that the center had originally been paid for with funds raised by the community.

I wish I were a practicing Catholic so I could stop.

-- Andy