[lbo-talk] One last note on animals.

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 7 14:37:09 PDT 2007

I just received an email that I would like to share a portion of just to give some list members an idea of why I feel the way I do about the issue of animal empathy. As a hobby, not a profession, I train therapy pets. It is for me a meaningful way to both save the lives of animals and add immensely to the lives of people. The strictly animal rescue people I know tend to be a bit to misanthropic for my taste. Anyway, I receive many emails per week with people offering me the animals they no longer want. Many are too old for my purposes so I must reject them. I hate to, but it is a necessity. Too many of the younger ones I am offered I am expected to pay for. These assholes buy a cat or dog, or adopt from a shelter, find it doesn't work for them, generally for the most asinine and trivial of reasons, and then expect me to repay them for the expenses they incurred in getting the animal shots, neutered, spayed, whatever. Yesterday I received an email from a nasty selfish woman whose email dripped contempt. She wanted $100 for her kitten. I told her if she was unable to sell it for the amount she wanted I would be willing to drive 250 miles one way and retrieve the animal at my own expense but I cannot buy peoples unwanted pets. Her reply this afternoon was that rather than give it away they would have stir-fry tonight. Now I know this asshole isn't going to actually eat this kitten but there is a high probability she will dump it somewhere. One less animal that could be used to enrich peoples lives through the Pet Therapy program and one more stray animal increasing the population of strays. Assuming it isn't killed quickly. I am called the most vile names imaginable for refusing to take someones arthritic 16 year old Bassett because the owner doesn't have the stomach to pay a vet to put it down and it would sooth their conscious if they could think of Fido helping other (at no inconvenience to them of course). I am also called equally vile things for not reimbursing people for their mistakes in pet ownership. "If I really cared I'd buy Fluffy for $100 instead of letting him die" they tell me. All of this boils down to some degree on people not expecting these animals to have feelings and to be able to experience empathy. Being agnostic on the subject as so many like to claim has real world results both for these animals and those who deal with societies throwaways. It isn't just unwanted pets. I've rescued pets from landfills with tattooed control numbers and surgical incisions who were discarded by labs when the animals were not even dead. It isn't going to harm your precious world-view to imagine these animals as thinking, feeling creatures and many of us are tired of wading in the detritus of their carcasses that are an unavoidable consequence of this level of convenient agnosticism. Give them cancer, aids, test drugs on them, do what is necessary to help resolve the problems of our planet but treat them with dignity and as thinking caring creatures, not automatons.

John Thornton