[lbo-talk] The positive functions of mass imprisonment in the US

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 9 22:08:25 PDT 2007

ken hanly wrote:

>The increase in incarceration is surely
>going hand in hand with the increase in private
>operation of prisons and use of convict labor by
>corporations.

Not so surely. Private prison construction is a quite small part of overall prison construction and it goes hand in hand with increased incarceration, not the other way 'round. Use of convict labor is also overblown. Here's Christian Parenti on both questions in an interview and essay, both from 1999:

http://historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/pareinterwar.html

http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=852