[lbo-talk] Targeting Empire?

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Sep 10 14:09:49 PDT 2007

I guess, that for myself, the irritation hasn't come from the quantity of the posts so much as the repetitive nature of the argument. It feels as scripted as 1950's pro wrestling. Obviously, the question of Iran is particularly important now, but I don't see most of the discussions particularly helping advance either an understanding of the situation or aiding in coming up with tactics to resist U.S. attempts to either invade or internally interfere with the regime (aka the generic slogan student group/NGO option). (I'm assuming a consensus on those positions. Please correct me if I'm wrong.) I'd be interested in hear what folks might think would be effective in working on that and perhaps even what is being done....

The one thing that I have to say on the question, is that while I feel that it is critical to give a nuanced and honest perspective of the country against the strange combination of Orientalist racism and warmed over anti-communism that characterizes the presentation of Iranian society, part of that is being critical of the regime when it warrants it. I think that puts the movement in a stronger position, rather than a weaker position. (To the extent that there is even a 'movement')

robert wood