[lbo-talk] Targeting Empire?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Sep 10 18:29:49 PDT 2007

On Sep 10, 2007, at 9:05 PM, Michael Smith wrote:

> If I wanted to be ungenerous I would be tempted to say that the
> problem
> is that people would rather be right than on the right side. The crazy
> thing is that the mullahs, though they are not right, *are* on the
> right
> side.

You seem to subscribe to the Cockburn theory of political truth, which is that it's what fucks things up the most. It's a pretty weird notion of "right" you're trafficking in here.

> Bein' from Kentucky mahself -- home of the Hatfields and McCoys --
> I have
> no problem at all with the idea that the enemy of my enemy is, at
> least
> pro tempore, my friend.

Ah, the Scots-Irish. Michael Lind is very funny in his book on Texas about you people. Cantankerous bastards who did nothing but cheat people out of their land. Helped make the Lone Star State what it is today.