[lbo-talk] Targeting Empire?

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Sep 10 19:37:30 PDT 2007

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 21:29:49 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> You seem to subscribe to the Cockburn theory of political truth,
> which is that it's what fucks things up the most. It's a pretty weird
> notion of "right" you're trafficking in here.

I do have a certain sympathy for that approach, yes. On the other hand, one likes to keep one's own ideas as clear and well thought out as one can. But that doesn't mean you have to say everything you think on every occasion. Every adult knows this, except for people with Tourette's.

About Iran specifically, there are so many people with bad things to say about Iran that I don't feel obliged -- in fact, I feel strongly disinclined -- to add my own insignificant voice to the conventional-wisdom chorus. And much as I dislike chadors, I love it that they've been thumbing their noses successfully at the Global Hegemon for, what, thirty years now?

> > Bein' from Kentucky mahself -- home of the Hatfields and McCoys --
> > I have
> > no problem at all with the idea that the enemy of my enemy is, at
> > least
> > pro tempore, my friend.
>
> Ah, the Scots-Irish. Michael Lind is very funny in his book on Texas
> about you people. Cantankerous bastards who did nothing but cheat
> people out of their land. Helped make the Lone Star State what it is
> today.

Oh Doug, Doug, you grieve me. That a man like you should descend to ethnic abuse! O quomodo ceciderunt potestates.

Besides, I'm a WASP. And when it comes to 'cantankerous,' Comrade...