[lbo-talk] Michael Lerner tattles: the state of the antiwar movement

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Sep 11 23:34:34 PDT 2007

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> I know it, I don't just believe it. People are doing
> long jail sentences _now_ for illegal direct action
> intended to influence government policy.

There are also plenty of people who have engaged in illegal direct action and gotten away with it. But people here are saying that even mass civil disobedience would get people charged as "terrorists." That's just absurd.

People have to take risks in order to advance effective social change.

> Bust the jails. By which you mean, fill them? Or bust
> out of them?

Fill them.

> So don't bullshit me and can the slave crap. With tens
> of thousands of people who are willing to take high
> risks we might be able to change the political
> equation. But _we ain't got those people_, not here in
> Chicago, I bet not in New York or Kansas City or even
> the Bay area. So we have to figure out to do what we
> can with what we have. If we had what we had in 1970,
> the world would be a different places. If wishes were
> horses, beggars would ride.

I violently disagree. :-)

We have the numbers. We just need to purge the fucked-up "leadership" which has put itself at the front of the movement.

Remember, an overwhelming majority of Americans oppose the war.

Chuck