[lbo-talk] Michael Lerner tattles: the state of the antiwar movement

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Sep 11 20:20:29 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:

> You and what army? Do you know what the US government would do if
> something like this happened? Massive force to remove everyone
> involved and then massive force to prevent a recurrence. The US state
> would probably stop at nothing to protect its warmaking power. And if
> the admin spun it as protecting the troops, public approval would be
> 70%.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that this list has gone in a more liberal direction and has mostly abandoned the radical leftism that I remember when I first joined.

Me and what army? How about the anti-war movement? It would make more sense to march tens of thousands around an army munitions plant than to do the same comfortably in Washington, DC.

Yes, they would use massive force to remove everybody. My point exactly.

The admin could spin it however they want, but popular opposition to the war ain't going to budge. But why would you even argue this? You are basically arguing for the liberal strategy. If you aren't going to support massive resistance to the war machine, then what do you support as a strategy?

Chuck