[lbo-talk] Michael Lerner tattles: the state ofthe antiwar movement

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Sep 12 09:05:57 PDT 2007

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> Some thoughts on this thread. Chuck is right about mass CD. It's now
> the only way to stop this war and get rid of the Patriot Act.
>
> You just have to be smart about how you do it. Rremember Civil Rights
> movement was based on going to jail, in violation of specific laws to
> make court cases.

Of course he is right -- but saying so now is totally irrelevant. There will be no effective _mass_ civil disobedience until first there is a much much larger and more militant 'legal' (i.e., minimally safe) movement. And we have _neither_ the troops for that _NOR_, more importantly, the experienced and willing cadre both to reaise those troops and to establish awareness among them of the (currently merely scholastic) truth that Chuck and you argue for.

Carrol